2023: What's on the horizon for game releases
While 2022 had some key games like Elden Ring release, it was a slower year compared to others as the gaming industry continues to feel the effects of COVID delays. 2023, however, is turning out to be a killer year for delayed titles to release. All in all, I'm pretty excited about the roadmap ahead-- and it looks like there are plenty of original IPs in the mix that'll shake things up.
Here is a selection of games coming out in 2023.
TBA 2023 Releases
*These are games slated to release next year but either didn't announce a date for release or provided a vague release window. (Alphabetized list.)
- Alan Wake 2
- Ark 2
- Assassin's Creed Mirage
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
- Goodbye Volcano High
- Hollow Knight: Silksong
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space
- Minecraft Legends
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl
- System Shock (Remake)
- The Expanse: A Telltale Series
- The Last Case of Benedict Fox
- The Wolf Among Us 2
There are tons and tons more games to share here, but the list would be about a mile long. While some games listed here (Redfall and Starfield, for example) seem nearly guaranteed to release in 2023 due to prior '22 delays, some of the games on this list have been in talks for several years with little (public) progress.
Announced 2023 Releases
*These are games with confirmed live dates. (List sorted by release date.)
- One Piece Odyssey (January 13)
- A Space for the Unbound (January 19)
- Forspoken (January 24)
- Dead Space (January 27)
- Season: A Letter to the Future (January 31)
- Deliver Us Mars (February 2)
- Hogwarts Legacy (February 10)
- Blanc (February 14)
- Wild Hearts (February 17)
- Atomic Heart (February 21)
- Like a Dragon: Ishin (February 21)
- Sons of the Forest (February 23)
- Kerbal Space Program 2 (February 24)
- Scars Above (February 27)
- Destiny 2: Lightfall (February 28)
- The Day Before (March 1)
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (March 3)
- Skull and Bones (March 9) (Given the number of past delays on this game, I would not be surprised if Ubisoft misses the mark again and sails past March.)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (March 17)
- Storyteller (March 23)
- Resident Evil 4 (Remake) (March 24)
- Crime Boss: Rockay City (March 28)
- Meet Your Maker (April 4)
- Dead Island 2 (April 28)
- Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (May 26)
- Street Fighter 6 (June 2)
- Diablo 4 (June 6)
Any games releasing through July-December 2023 haven't had a public announcement yet, so we'll have to get through the first parts of the year to see what's on the horizon. My best guess is many big-ticket games will release around Q3/Q4 to pair with the holiday season shopping surge.
- I only covered PC releases. Games like the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom or Kirby's Return to Dreamland will be Switch-exclusive upon release.
- There are going to be hundreds of indies released next year that are either unannounced or are flying under the radar. It'll be cool which of them can climb to the top and go from underdog to superstar. (I included a handful of indies that I thought looked pretty damn neat.) I didn't capture every single game coming out next year-- so go ahead, and if you know of one that others should know about/see, comment about it below!
- It's extremely common for games to be delayed, canceled, or launched late for a myriad of reasons. This article isn't a hard-and-true calendar so much as a guide-- but we can keep our fingers crossed that the publishers will stick to the schedule.
What games are you most looking forward to next year? I'm personally excited about Redfall and Atomic Heart.