Area 51 Triad case owners - what are your temps for 8700k?

Area 51 Triad case owners - what are your temps for 8700k?

LukeG310

I am wondering what kind of temps you guys are getting with 120mm single fan radiators on your Triad cases?

Edited

Replies 6

Cass-Olé edited

Hey Luke! 8700k is a 95w TDP mainstream chip, Triad Owners run Intel Extreme CPUs (140w - 165w TDP) like X99 Haswell-E Broadwell-E X299 SkyLake-X & Basin Falls Refresh, or AMD ThreadRip 1 & 2 (180w TDP)

The Aliens CGI Photo u posted shows a 48mm wide radiator only found on ThreadRip R3 R6 R7; Intel R2 R4 R5 owners get a much smaller 27mm wide budget radiator, I posted yesterday about their different budget vs premium coolers here & advise they invest into better cooling aka thicker rads to improve temps, $65 H80i V2 49mm rad for instance (*note R4 R5 models may not have a traditional USB 2.0 header for CorsairLink*)

You thinking of buying a barebones case soon?

(Some cases may need the 2nd VNPD3 case wall fan bracket if not equipped, to improve cooling); R5 R6 are the Triad Chassis 2.0, w/a slight revision

LukeG310

Hi Cass-Ole! hows it going man? I was curious how the single radiators performed with the 8700k. My old Aurora R4 had a H80i V2 and it did not do that good of a job keeping the 8700k under heavy usage.

I kind of like the Aurora cases but the single radiator is deal break for me. Do you have a Triad chassis? if so do you like it compared to your Area51 R1?

LukeG310

$215 dollars for a 120mm cooler?!?!?! wooow

Cass-Olé edited

I bought an R2 case in late 2015 +PSU w/out mthrbrd, but sold it last Spring. I didn't like it as much as the R1, but I did come to like it as a computer case eventually. Ran a 49mm Asetek & at the end made it some white cables. If u can score a barebones case for cheap, try it out for your Alien Collection. I had the same issue most people did, which is some mthrbrds allow the exterior lights to all come on but with some mthrbrs the side panels refuse to light up (no one made a list of which was ok & which wasn't). The R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 all have 'odd' 'proprietary' USB2.0 cable connectors (which plug into 'odd' mthrbrd 2.0 headers), so those case connectors would need traded for traditional 2.0 cables if u wish to interface the Alien FX FI/O board w/an aftermarket board (the R2 case doesn't have this problem). This new listing that landed today, too many parts are missing but they're listed as 'like new' (parts needed: FI/O board, HDD caddys, maybe some case wires-cables?)(front POGO board?), some missing parts sold separate (lol)

Aurora doesn't interest me as a case because the rear I/O trim is stamped into the case (non-removable), u need a dremel tool in order to place an aftermarket board's rear I/O plate in it, then do so wire-modding for the front panel items, & the case lights won't work due to proprietary LEDs which is the worst part (you might be able to hard-wire one color of LED to come on at least), so to me it's a bust as a case & not terribly exciting a platform to use due to cramped interior & maybe some other stuff. Grab a 51 case sometime, u only live once, it's got decent space in there & I think I've seen 2-3 cases modded w/ a 240 on the right case wall (no idea if it's easy or difficult)

LukeG310

Hi Cass-Ole. Good to know the R2's are picky with motherboards. I am pretty sure my Z390E probably wont make the list of compatible since it doesnt play nice with my Area51r1'S MIO board. I passed by Best Buy and you were right, the I/O shield is embedded into the case. That sucks on Dell's part.

Chromedragon

I own an area 51 r4  Skylake X 7280x chip running at 4.7 via bios. i see sypically 60c after playing MWO or Diablo 3 on ultra high for 1080p gaming.